Unit-02: Primary English Curriculum
Q. What is curriculum? Write down the main objectives of the English Primary Curriculum for Bangladesh.
Mean of Curriculum:
The term curriculum means the sets of aims and specific objectives to be achieved by learners.; the knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes learners must develop; possible strategies and activities for successful teaching, learning and evaluation processes for assessing students’ performance. These various components are are guided by certain principles which recognize the importance of providing a balance between the needs and interests of individuals and requirements of society and economy.
The main objectives of the English Primary Curriculum:
The purpose of teaching English in classes I-V is to enable the students to communicate in the language at a simple level in a natural and spontaneous way. The main objectives of teaching English in classes I-V are enable students to:
- Understand simple commands / instructions / requests in English and carry them out.
- Speak and understand simple English according to their age level.
- Read and comprehend textbook according to their age group and level.
Write letters, Words, numbers, simple sentences, passages, paragraphs, informal letters and numbers according to their age group and level.
Q. Why do you think it is important for people in Bangladesh to learn English?
Or, What is the importance of learning English?
English is really important for the people of Bangladesh. As it is an International language. We know that it is regarded as a foreign language in Bangladesh. It played a vital role in our national life from the British period. So we feel the need of using this language every now and then. For the teachers it is very important because English as a compulsory subject from class one in 1992. This was done because- students need to have foundation in English for further education. So the teachers need to learn it before they teach it.
Some other importance of learning English are as following:
|01.||to read English newspapers, books and magazines|
|02.||for higher study in Bangladesh – most textbooks are in English|
|03.||to get jobs in Bangladesh – for example, in government service or with an NGO|
|04.||to communicate with foreigners and tourists in Bangladesh|
|05.||to use the internet and e-mail and other social media.|
|06.||to do international business|
|07.||to travel to other countries|
|08.||to do research – most textbooks are in English|
|09.||to understand English literature|
|10.||to work abroad|
|11.||to pass examinations|
|12.||to study infamous institutes or abroad|
|13.||to watch English films TV programmes|
Q. What are the objectives of teaching English at primary level?
The purpose of teaching English as a foreign language is to enable the students to communicate with each other at simple level. The main objectives of teaching English at primary level are to enable students-
• To understand simple instructions in English and carry them out.
• To speak simple English suitable for the level which is in the English for Today books.
• To read and understand simple printed materials of the textbooks intended this level.
• To write simple sentences, letters etc.
Focusing on those objectives at the primary level, a knowledge of English will facilitate the following goals in the future.
• Communicate with other countries because English is an international language.
• Correspond in business, trade and commerce.
• Will help in higher studies as most of the books are written in English.
• Will enable access to the advantages of science and modern technology to develop their professional skills.
Q. What are the principles behind the Primary English Curriculum and English for Today?
Here are some of the principles behind the Primary English Curriculum and English for Today:
• Using language to communicate
• Practice of the basic four skills. Those are: listening, speaking, reading, and writing)
• Activities are meaningful
• Activities are enjoyable
• Topics and themes relate to real life
• Topics inculcate human values and broaden horizons
•Grammar is presented in context
• Language and skills are graded.
Q. What does CLT mean? Write down the Important Features of CLT in the primary Curriculum ?
The current approach of English language teaching (ELT)all over the world is communicative ( The communicative language teaching or CLT). Very recently, the academicians of Bangladesh ELT context with the backing of the Government has founded CLT in the general education. CLT requires Interactive classroom activities with the integration of the four language skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. One of the most recognized lists is brown Five features to characterize the communicative language teaching.
1. An emphasis on learning to communicate through interaction in the target language.
2. The introduction of authentic texts into the learning situation.
3. The provision of opportunities for learners to focus, not only on language but also on the learning process itself.
4. An enhancement of the learner’s own personal experiences as important contributing elements to classroom learning.
5. An attempt to link classroom language learning with language activation outside the classroom. (cited in Brown 1994a: 78) Practitioners have claimed that the five features of CLT is important for leaner’s who are intending to learn English for academic purpose as well as its use in real life for communication.
Q. What are the principles behind CLT in the primary classroom?
Some of the principles of CLT:
- Children use language to communicate.
2. Children need to practise the four basic language such as: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
3. Language practice should be meaningful. Children should have a purpose for listening, speaking, reading and writing. These are called the four skills.
4. Children need to imitate and practise language, but they also need to be creative.
5. Children work out grammar rules.
Q. As a teacher why do you think it is important for primary-aged children to learn English?
I think it is important for primary-aged children to learn English because they can develop their understanding better in learning the language. It also helps them to gain confidence and fluency at the early stage of their life.
Q. What are the principles behind primary English curriculum and English for Today?
Some of the principles behind the primary English curriculum and English for today are given below:
a) using language to communicate
b) practice of the four skills such as listening, speaking, reading and writing.
c) activists are enjoyable.
d) topic and themes related to real life.
e) topic inculcate human values and road broaden horizons.
f) grammar is presented in contest.
g) Language and skills are graded.
Q. What do you means by terminal competencies?
On the basis of aims and objectives of the curriculum, subject wise terminal competencies are selected which a learner will achieve through this 5 year education program. These will help students to acquire and use the basic skills of English as a foreign language it is expected that the competencies of knowledge, skills and attitude of the students would be reflected on Their reading, writing, listening and speaking Skills. So the terminal competencies of English are grouped into listening, writing, speaking are reading.
Q. What is the present condition of teaching English at the primary level in Bangladesh?
At present in the primary level of Bangladesh non- efficient teacher teach the students English with the help of only the text book without motivating them to use English in the classroom and outside the classroom.
Q. What are the objectives of English primary curriculum for Bangladesh?
The purpose of teaching English in classes 1-5 is to communicate in the language at a simple level in natural and spontaneous way. The main objectives of teaching English in classes I -5 are to enable students to :
- Understand simple commands /instruction /request in English and carry them out.
2. Speak and understand simple English according to Their age level.
3.Read and comprehends textbook according to Their age group and level.
4. Write letter, words, numbers, simple sentences, passage paragraph, Informal letters and numbers according to Their age group and level.
Q. Write down any two principles of CLT?
CLT means communicative language learning. The two principles of CLT are given below:
- Children use language to communicate.
2. Children need to practice Listening, speaking, reading and writing
ইংরেজি পিকে বিষয়ের আরও পোস্ট দেখুন
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-1 English as an International Language
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-3 Learning Style and Effective Teaching
দয়া করে সকলের উপকারার্থে শেয়ার করুন এবং ভবিষ্যতে নিজের ফেসবুক ওয়ালে রেখে দিন।