Q. What is reading? Why is reading important for learning English?
Reading is a cognitive process. Generally reading is defined as a process whereby as look at and understand what is written. It means understanding a text. To read a written language is called reading.
Importance of reading:
The basic points of importance of reading are as follows:
- Recognizing the script of language: Reading helps recognizing the script of language.
- A way of learning: Learning a language involves acquiring four main languages skills-listening, speaking, reading and writing. As reading is a receptive skill in learning language, the importance of reading is great. So, reading may be called as a channel of learning.
- Reading increases knowledge: Francis Beacon says, “Reading makes a man perfect”. Without developing the reading skills, we cannot acquire knowledge.
- Reading increases vocabulary: By reading, vocabulary of the learners can be increased.
- It helps to understand the meaning: Reading helps the readers to understand the meaning of various topics.
- Help in recreation: Reading helps for the recreation of the learners.
- Self-development and forming personality: Reading helps self-development and forms personality of the learners.
- Developing intelligence and creativeness: Reading helps developing intelligence and creativeness of the learners.
- Introduce the cultural heritage of different nations: Reading helps to introduce the cultural heritage of different nations.
Q. Write down the five stages of teaching vocabulary. How can you teach the meaning of the following words: “beautiful, hot, hair, housewife without using Bangla? Mention and describe the techniques.
The five stages of teaching vocabulary are-
- Practicing and memorizing a new word,
- Understanding and learning the meaning of a new word,
- Helping students to develop strategies for learning vocabulary,
- Learning the form of a new word,
- Recording and organizing words for long-term memory.
I can teach the meaning of the following words by using the above strategies:
- Beautiful: The word ‘beautiful’ denotes the attractive expression of any object. I can show the flowers, any picture or the character of a man that’s attractive in front of the students.
- Hot: The word “Hot” is the state of matter. It expresses the temperature of any material or object. I can show a high temperature object in front of the students.
- Hair: The word ‘hair’ expresses a definite part of the body of a person. I can show the picture of a person who has beautiful hair in front of the students.
- Housewife: The word “housewife” is a married woman who manages a family and also is a mother of children of the family. I can show a family picture in front of the students and indicate the housewife in the picture. When the students receive the words, I advise them to follow the above stages.
In the last word, if I can present the ‘new words’ perfectly in front of the students by using the stated stages, then my application will show a good result for teaching the vocabulary.
Q. What is loud reading and silent reading?
Loud reading requires the usages of our muscles and voice box (our larynx). This is where we read out loud with our voices.
This is typical when we’re reading so others can hear or when we’re first learning how to read.
Silent reading is internal reading. There is no production of speech and no motor movement of the mouth.
Silent reading is what most of us do when we’re reading on our phones and what many use while reading a book.
Q. Identify two pros and cons each for silent reading and reading aloud.
Two pros and cons each for. Silent reading and loud reading are given below….
Pros and cons of Silent reading:
Pros: (1) Teachers have free time and can walk around the class room and help individual student as they are reading.
(2) It can be easier for students to concentrate. especially if they have something to do while they are reading.
Cons: (1) Students can read at their own speed. This can be difficult for teachers managing the class.
(2) Teacher have less opportunity to check students pronunciation.
Pros and cons of Loud Reading :
Pros: (1) It can help students make connections Between sounds and spelling.
(2) If the teachers read aloud, it can it can help students to develop reading quickly.
Cons: (1) Some students May enjoy reading aloud, others students may feel Very anxious.
(2) Students can lose concentration when listening to others read a text.
Q. What are the advantages and disadvantages of reading aloud. ?
The pros and cons of reading aloud are described below:
- It can help students make connection Between sounds and spelling (specially lower primary).
- If the teacher’s read aloud. It can help students to develop reading quality (skimming text).
- It is a chance for students to listen to English and it can help students worth pronunciation.
- Some students may enjoy reading aloud; others students may not feel Very anxious.
- Students can lose concentration when listening to others road a text.
- If students are reading aloud. Then others students may not hear (especially with a large group).
- If students reading aloud. Then only a few students get a chance to read (when it is a large group).
- It is often different to understand a text when you read it aloud. As you are concentrating on others things.
Q. Brierly discuss the different techniques to teach new vocabulary ?
Teachers con use different techniques to teach vocabulary. Some important techniques have been explained bellow:
(1) Teaching the word meaning: Teacher May write not more than 5-6 words in the blackboard before letting the students read. Then the teacher’s may use pictures or may use Bangla.
(2) Guessing the meaning from text: Teachers may use text or situation to teach vocabulary and from this text/situation students will guess the meaning of the words.
(3) Real objects: Some new words con be taught by showing real objects.
(4) Pictures: A teacher can use pictures, Charts, Flashcards form the magazines or she/he can draw pictures on the blackboard.
(5) Mime, action and gesture: some words con be taught by using mimes. actions and gestures. Here mime means doing action without talking. Teacher can mime the action of eating, Sleeping, Writing, Running etc.
(6) Explanation: A teacher may explain the meaning of difficult world by using using simple language.
(7) Translation: To explain abstract and difficult worlds, the teachers may give bangla meaning.
Q. Write down the ways of reading and give examples.
The ways of reading are given below:
- Reading a story or poem for pleasure
- Reading a newspaper review of a new film
- Reading an advertisement for a museum to find which days it’s open
- Reading a cooking recipe
- Reading a legal agreement
Q. Write two post reading activities for primary students.
Two post reading activities for primary students’ are-
- Asking students to say the word on the card
- Asking students to find word in a list which is different.
How do you teach the words ‘Breakfast’ and ‘Finger’ in primary class?
In primary classroom, teacher will say, ‘when you first take food after getting up from sleep in the morning: this food taking time is known as Breakfast’. What time do you take breakfast? What do you eat in the breakfast?
Finger: Teacher points to his or her finger to the students to understand it.
What do you mean by the sub-skills of reading?
The activities through which; teacher develops students skills are called sub-skills of reading. Activities are:
1. Prediction: At pre reading stage, teachers can show a picture or a little and then ask the student questions about what the text will be.
2. Skimming: Skimming means reading a text quickly to get the general idea to gist about the text
3. Scanning: Scanning means reading on and listening to a text for specific information. Teacher gives some guiding questions first and asks the students to answer those questions after reading the passage
4. Intensive comprehension: The Readers try to understand both the implied and the expressive meaning in this type of reading. The teacher can check students understanding by asking question.
Q. What do you understand by skimming and scanning?
Skimming is the action of a fast process of reading something quickly so as to note only the important Points, or quickly to get a general idea of meaning of the text even without paying attention to detail.
Scanning is reading a text quickly or sweeping the eyes over part of a text in order to find specific information.
Q. Write two post-reading activities for primary students?
Two post-reading activities for primary students are given below:
- Asking students to say the word on the card.
- Asking students to find word in a list which is different.
Q. What is brain storming?
Brain storming means to prepare the students to think about something so that they can give as many ideas as they can on that point.
Q. Write down the appropriate technique/techniques to teach the following Words?
- stand- up.
Short: is an adjective and to teach adjectives teachers need to illustrate with pictures and use the opposite word to compare.
Stand-up: is an action verb and teach action verb teachers need to show the action and give opportunities for practice to the students.
ইংরেজি পিকে বিষয়ের আরও পোস্ট দেখুন
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-1 English as an International Language
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-2 Primary English Curriculum
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-3 Learning Style and Effective Teaching
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-4 Lesson Plan
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-5 Listening Skill
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-6 Speaking skills
- English PK Hand-note; Unit-7 Reading Skill